Although the new season has just begun, the air is already cooling down and the leaves are beginning to change –– and that means it is time to get serious about transitioning our closets from summer to fall. While there will always be new trends to try, there are some pieces that are classic autumn staples that you can easily take from year-to-year. How can you take old pieces and make them work for a new fall season? It’s quite simple you see...
1. Invest in scarf(ves)- If you are not a lover of the scarves, you are missing out on a great opportunity to take comfy, casual pieces to a new level. What’s even better about this trend is that it seems like anything goes. Looks for chunky knit scarves, ones with metallic strands, or bold prints such as plaid and tartan. The only thing you should remember to help you turn this basic cold weather accessory into a trendsetting one? Try mixing prints and patterns (think a polka dot scarf with a striped top) and be prepared to pile on the layers!
2. Get a basic blazer- A tailored blazer is the perfect jacket for fall. Not only does it provide coverage on the chillier days, but it transfers well from outerwear to office attire and even wears well for casual looks. To stay on-trend this fall keep in mind the overarching trends set during Fashion Week this past spring. Think of looks such as the pairing of a distressed graphic tee with a blazer and studded accessories for a punk rock look, or implement fall’s pastel trend with a mint blouse or pastel pink bauble necklace under your blazer.
3. Buy some knee-high boots- No fall look is complete without boots, and you can never go wrong with a knee-high style! (Note: I know the over-the-knee boot is an anticipated trend this season but I just can’t bring myself to accept it.) Rather than the classic riding style of last year, this season you should be on the lookout for boots with bold hardware such as straps, buckles and studs –– another way of paying homage to the punk trund.
4. Load up on skinnies- I basically live in these things when fall rolls around, but know plenty of gals who hold off, thinking that they aren’t right for their body type. We’re excited to see stores now stocking “curvy styles”, to ensure that girls of all shape and size have the opportunity to find a flattering fit and give this trend a try! Rather than the basic blue washed denim, look for skinnies with fun prints and patterns, colors (burgundy and mustard are always good for fall), and the newest addition, coated skinnies. Have you seen these yet? They have a sheen to make them look like leather pants when really they’re just comfy denim!
5. Hoard dark-colored nail polish- Fall is the perfect time to go dark. Not just with your clothing and hair color, but your nail polish as well! Look for burgundy shades, blue-black, and don't forget the color of the year –– emerald. When it comes to nail color, I particularly like Orly, Essie and OPI, like this Every Month is Oktoberfest by OPI that has a subtle hint of golden shimmer. Don't underestimate your nails as an accessory!
Regardless of how you wear them, you can rest assured that these five basic pieces will make you one trendy lady. What other items do you consider to be fall staples?